- This event has passed.
July All-Day Sitting (Hybrid)
July 30 @ 9:00 am - 4:30 pm PDT
One Day Retreat, led by Jeff Bickner and ARobin Orden
Join us on Zoom or in person at Green Gulch Farm (GGF)
The day begins at 9:00 am with a brief orientation followed by sitting and walking meditation. There will be a dharma talk in the morning. Noon service will be followed by a break for a silent lunch. In the afternoon, we return to sitting and walking meditation and conclude with an evening service. The day ends at 4:30.
We will not hold a full moon bodhisattva ceremony this month.
How to Register
☸︎ TO ATTEND IN PERSON: Please read the relevant information on this page, then click the button below to register on the San Francisco Zen Center’s website. Space is limited. Please register as soon as possible and no later than Friday, July 29 at 5pm (PT). If you have trouble registering on the GGF website, please contact their events office at 415-354-0360.
☸︎ TO ATTEND ON ZOOM: Please complete the registration form above after reading the relevant sections of this page. You will receive confirmation and reminder emails with the Zoom link.
Sitting with us at Green Gulch Farm
What to Bring
The zendo at GGF will provide us with zafus, a few sitting benches, support cushions, and zabutons. You may bring your own zafus, support cushions, and benches if you wish, but do not bring zabutons or chairs.
If you plan to sit on a chair, please note that on the form when you register on the GGF website.
- We will enter the zendo exclusively through the side entrance. Please do not enter Cloud Hall.
- Chairs will already be set up in the zendo (see above, under What to Bring, if you plan to sit on a chair). Please do not move chairs to different places in the zendo.
- Shoes: No shoes inside the zendo or on the wooden walkway circling the zendo. Shoes are worn in all other areas of Green Gulch. Shoe racks are near the side entrance to the zendo.
- Bags, coats, water bottles, etc. may not be put on any of the shoe racks, with the exception of those on walkways around the outside of the zendo. The two entrances with the indoor men’s and women’s bathrooms have coat racks and a rack that is on top of the shoe rack for these items. If you use any of these storage areas please drop off your possessions and exit and then enter the zendo through the side door.
- If necessary, you may neatly fold a jacket or extra layer of clothing to have in front of your sitting place. However, please keep this to a minimum. Bring as little as possible into the zendo!
- Water bottles, food or liquid of any form is not permitted in the zendo.
Following the recommendations of our own Covid Safety Group, and in accordance with local and state guidelines, in-person participants must be fully vaccinated and boosted; wear a medical-grade face-covering at all times (N95, KN95, or KF94 are preferred; cloth masks are not permitted); and practice social distancing in all shared spaces, at all times. Please bring proof of vaccination with you unless you attended this year’s sesshin and have already had this verified. You must register before attending — no walk-ins, please.
If you experience a new onset of fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, loss of smell or taste, sneezing, sinus congestion, or exposure to someone with a known diagnosis of Covid or flu in the prior 72 hours, do not attend in person.
Sitting with us on Zoom
The link to a private webpage with the Schedule of the Day and Practice Discussion Request forms will be included in the reminder email, sent 24 hours before the start of the event. You may register up until the start of the All-Day Sitting. Our Inos will open the Zoom meeting room at 8:45 am. Please log on early and on mute so as to begin our day in silence.
Fees, Dana & Scholarships
Your donations make Everyday Zen events possible.
For sitting at Green Gulch Farm
To attend in person, please click the button below and follow instructions on SFZC website. A registration fee of $70–$100 is required. If you have trouble with the registration form or process on the GGF website, please contact their events office at 415-354-0360.
This fee covers the day of sitting at GGF and includes lunch and tea/coffee and also a donation to Everyday Zen. It does not include gifts to the EDZ scholarship fund or additional Dana for Norman and EDZ. If you would like to make an additional gift, please use the “DONATE” button below. For Dana for senior teachers, an envelope will be available at GGF. See also: About SFZC Public Programs, Fees, and Cancellations
To apply for an EDZ scholarship, please complete the All-Day Sitting Scholarship Request form.REGISTER AT GGF
For sitting through Zoom
To attend on Zoom, please register using the form at the top of this page. The suggested donation for sitting with us on Zoom is $20 or whatever you are comfortable contributing.
Thank you! We look forward to sitting with you.DONATE More All Day Sittings